4021 Borman Drive • Batavia OH 45103 • (513) 735-4500 • map
|Curtiss-Wright P-40 Kittyhawk|
The Tri-State Warbird Museum 1943 Curtiss P-40M is an exciting project and a very historically significant aircraft. This P-40 Kittyhawk saw service with the Royal New Zealand Air Force (RNZAF) as NZ3119 and was flown by Geoff Fisken, RNZAF's highest scoring pilot in World War II. Rescued from an aircraft scrap yard in the 1960's by New Zealand native John Chambers, NZ3119 was structurally rebuilt by Allied Fighter Rebuilds in Auckland, New Zealand and delivered to the Tri-State Warbird Museum in February 2008. The restoration team at the Tri-State Warbird Museum will complete the restoration of NZ3119 to flying condition. Be sure to come by often and watch as this amazing aircraft comes together.
The Curtiss-Wright P-40 Kittyhawk was the first American fighter aircraft to be mass-produced in large quantities at the beginning of World War II. It served on many fronts including the South Pacific, North Africa, the Mediterranean and in China, where it served with distinction as part of Claire Chennault's Flying Tigers in battles against the Japanese Air Force. Although quickly made obsolete by advances in fighter design, the P-40 proved itself as a rugged and capable aircraft and was used with distinction in the early stages of World War II by the U.S. Army Air Force, Royal Air Force, Royal New Zealand Air Force, French Air Force, and the Soviet Air Force.
Powered by a 1,125 hp Allison 12 cylinder V-1710 engine, the P-40 lacked high altitude performance and posted only moderate cruise speeds compared to later fighters. Rugged and simple, P-40's exhibited good dive characteristics, agility in turns, and excellent range compared to other early World War II fighters. The P-40 offered the additional advantage of a low price tag which kept it in production as a tactical (ground-attack) fighter long after it was obsolete as an air-superiority type.
13,738 P-40's of all variants were produced between 1938 and 1944. Approximately 85 exist today.
This Focke-Wulf Fw-190 was initially restored by Flug Werks in Munich, Germany and is a most generous gift of Dr. Thomas Summer of Lafayette, Indiana. Dr. Summer spent over 4 years supervising the initial Flug Werks restoration work on this Fw-190. This amazing aircraft has been painted to represent the mount of Germany's Major Heinz Barr who was credited with 221 aerial victories. The restoration staff at the Tri-State Warbird Museum will complete the assembly of the Fw-190.
The Fw-190 is widely regarded as Germany's best single engine fighter of World War II. Comparable to the American P-51D Mustang and the British Spitfire MkIX, the Fw-190 entered service with the Luftwaffe in 1941 and operated continuously through several production variants until the end of the war. The Fw-190 was the work of a team of German designers under the direction of Chief Designer Kurt Tank and was specified as a supplement to the Messerschmidt Me-109 (Bf-109), then the only single engine German front line fighter. Powered by a BMW801 14 cylinder, twin-row air cooled radial engine producing 1700 horsepower the Fw-190 could reach speeds of over 400mph with a service ceiling of 37,000 feet and a range of 550 miles. Production versions were equipped with four wing mounted 20mm cannons and two 13mm machine guns firing through the propeller. Later versions used two 20mm cannons and two 30mm cannons and a limited number were equipped as "tank killers" with a downward firing 75mm cannon mounted in the left wing.
The Corsair was the first carrier aircraft which could outfight the best fighters that the Japanese employed during World War II. It was also the first radial engine fighter to exceed 400mph at level flight. The U.S. Navy had initially prohibited the Corsair from carrier operations, however the British Fleet Air Arm demonstrated the Corsair could be effectively employed as a carrier-based fighter by incorporating a curving landing pattern which enabled pilots to keep the flight deck in sight. The U.S. Navy adopted this flight technique and employed the Corsair as a carrier-based aircraft midway through the war. By war's end, the Corsairs had flown 64,041 sorties with 2,140 confirmed enemy aircraft destroyed in aerial combat (including many more destroyed on the ground) with a loss of 189.
The FG-1D Corsair is the Goodyear manufactured version of the F4U-1D, powered by a Pratt-Whitney R-2800-8W engine and delivering 2,250hp. The top speed of the aircraft was 425mph with a range of 1,015 miles and a ceiling of 37,000 feet. The Corsair was armed with six .50 caliber machine guns and 2,000 pounds of bombs or rockets under the wings.